Open Table Rules for Mausritter

Since December I've been running Mausritter on Wednesdays at the RPG night in a local restaurant. It's an open table where each session different players can sign up and drop in. A session takes up 3 hours, and I aim to make each session self-contained, so that players looking for a one-off have a good time. To facilitate this, I've picked up some methods along the way. Maybe they're of use.

📅 Synchronized calendars

When a week passes in real time, it passes in game time too. The same is true for the start of a new season. This simplifies high-level time keeping and allows for a full rest in between sessions.

😱 Flight response

Mouse knights go where other mice won’t. But even you have limits. 15 minutes before the session ends, you are overwhelmed by the session's building threats and you gain the Flight Response condition. This ensures expeditions are contained within a single session and raises the urgency to seize the available time.

📣 The knight's call

At the end of each session, player characters decide on what expedition to undertake after they've taken a full rest, and send out word so that any mouse knight may come to their aid. This allows returning players to chart their own course, new players to have a clear session goal from the start and the GM to know what hexes to prepare for the next expedition.


Thank you for reading. Sign up to my newsletter to hear about my latest TTRPG projects.

Comments

  1. I really like the Knights Call technique! I run an open table dungeon crawl and will try it out.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Creating a distributed campaign style

10 things I wish I knew as a starting game master with ADHD